Thursday, February 14, 2013

Trusting God for the Small Things

Today's reading in Draw the Circle really hit me hard. The author started out the chapter with talking about how God keeps the planets in orbit, and how the earth rotates every day. He commented that we don't wake up in the morning and say "Wow, God! Thanks for making the earth rotate again yesterday! I wasn't sure if you could do it, but you came through again!" It's easy to trust that God will provide for big things like that. The hard part is to trust that there is nothing too small for Him to do.

This is definitely a struggle for me. On a daily basis, I doubt that God will really provide a better job for my husband, a desperately needed new car, or health insurance. Sometimes I doubt that we'll ever have a baby, something that both of us really want, because we don't have enough money and it feels like that will never change. When I think about it, these things are so much smaller than making the earth spin. I have no problem trusting that God will do that, yet I have a big problem trusting that He will provide for us on a daily basis. Throughout this season of Lent, I want to have faith for God to provide more than I can ask or imagine. I've been settling for sprinkles, but I want an outpouring--spiritually as well as an outpouring of God's material provision.

2 comments:

  1. you'l have a baby...Mom and Dad were dirt poor when they had all of us (...and still are, haha). Don't you remember hearing stories about how they could barely buy milk? Or presents for your first Christmas? But they made it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, because even when we pray in earnest, we don't expect enough of the great God, who is our Father. He blesses us according to HIS great riches, not according to our expectations. Ask and you shall receive, my friend! I can honestly testify to God's continued provision. The only things you can do are trust, ask (pray), and tithe! I will be praying for those blessings in your life, too.

    ReplyDelete